If you’re like me, you wake up to your stomach growling. In fact, I think my stomach growls actually wake me up.
So on many mornings at the beach house, I treat myself to granola that I prepare the night before. That way my breakfast is literally waiting for me to walk down the stairs and into the kitchen, ready to be enjoyed.
I like to pack a lot of heart-healthy and fiber-rich ingredients into my granola recipe like sunflower seeds, almonds, flax seeds and olive oil. I’ve experimented with adding other ingredients like dried fruit (after baking) and walnuts (before baking), and this granola always turns out delicious. In other words, feel free to get creative with this recipe.
The granola keeps well in an airtight container for 2 weeks. Hope this granola makes your mornings brighter.
If you like this recipe and want more like it, check out my book Beach House Brunch. 🙂
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line two sheet trays with aluminum foil.
- Combine the oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, almonds, flax seeds, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium stainless steel bowl.
- Bring the olive oil, maple syrup and cinnamon to boil in a saucepan. Pour the hot liquid over the oat mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until all the oats and nuts are coated.
- Divide the granola between the two cookie sheets and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Stir the granola and bake 15 minutes more.
- Remove the granola from the oven. Let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container.