These tender oatcakes are made with oats, applesauce, and molasses. You’d never guess they’re gluten-free and vegan!
To make the oatcakes, pulverize rolled oats in a food processor and blend in almond flour. Add some molasses and cinnamon (for sweetness), and blend with almond milk, applesauce, and coconut milk (for liquid and fat). A flax egg binds everything together.
I like to serve these earthy oatcakes with juicy, crunchy chopped apples and sweet maple syrup, but they’re also fabulous on their own.
Apple Oat Cakes
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
Make Flax Egg
- In a small bowl, combine the water and flaxseed meal. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a food processor, add the oats and blend until finely ground.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the almond flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a liquid measure, stir the almond and coconut milks, applesauce, and molasses until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients—including the flax egg—to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken while you warm a nonstick griddle over medium-low heat.
- Portion ⅓ cup of batter onto the griddle. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes until batter slightly puffs and edges set by about ½ inch. Flip and cook 30 to 40 seconds.
- Serve oatcakes warm with chopped apples and maple syrup.