I love making this quick and easy salad in late summer when beets are peak season. Spicy dandelion and bitter radicchio perfectly balance sweet, roasted beets and a citrusy carrot ginger dressing.
This salad is so simple to make. While the beets roast in the oven, make the citrus dressing in a blender with silken tofu, orange peel, carrots, and basic pantry staples. I learned this dressing recipe years ago in culinary school, and it remains a favorite.
The combination of bright, distinct flavors in this salad awakens the palate and completely satisfies.
Please check out my cookbook Easy Plant-Based Cooking For Two for more Delicious Vegan Recipes. 🙂
Bitter Greens Salad
- 12 ounces golden beets (3 medium size), trimmed
Carrot Ginger Dressing
- 4 cups dandelion greens chopped
- 2 cups radicchio chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap the beets in foil.
- Roast for 1 hour or until a paring knife is easily inserted into the flesh.
- Remove the skin, cut into slices or wedges, and set them aside.
Make Carrot Ginger Dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a small food processor. Mix on high until smooth.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Divide the dandelion greens and radicchio between two salad bowls. Top with the roasted beets and serve with the carrot ginger dressing.