Anyone who grew up eating pop tarts (like me) will love this recipe for home made ones. They are really easy to make and while I chose Nutella to fill them with, you can play around with different fillings.
The dough is super flaky and light and when paired with creamy Nutella it’s blow your mind delicious.
The recipe yields about 8 Nutella Pop Tarts. I like to keep a few of these in the freezer so I don’t eat them all at once.
Nutella Pop Tarts
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar and salt on low speed and slowly add the butter pieces. Increase speed to medium and continue until butter breaks down to pea size. Whisk the ice water and yolk together and add all at once to mixer. Mix on low speed just until dough starts to come together. Form dough into two discs and wrap each in plastic. Let chill in refrigerator for one hour.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Set aside another piece of parchment paper of the same size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of dough into a 13x11-inch rectangle. Trim down to 12x10-inches with a sharp knife and then cut out eight 5x3-inch rectangles. Place onto prepared sheet tray and cover with the extra parchment sheet. Repeat this step with the remaining disc of dough, placing the pieces on the top parchment. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill.
- Remove cutouts from refrigerator and slide off top parchment. These are the tops of the pop tarts.
- Poke some holes into the bottom cutouts with a fork. Whisk the egg white and moisten the edges. Spread a tablespoon of Nutella down the center of each rectangle. Lay a top cutout over the filling and press down edges to seal. Use a fork to double seal the edges. Place sheet tray in freezer for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Garnish with powdered sugar.