This smooth sherbet is highly addictive and soars with the lively flavor of apricot and the creaminess of gelato.
The trick to making this apricot sherbet super flavorful is roasting – the best way to bring out the wonderful flavor of apricot that we all know exists but is sometimes hard to detect when eaten fresh.
After roasting, the apricots are blended with simple syrup and chilled overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, the mixture is combined with heavy cream and churned in an ice cream maker until smooth and creamy.
You can enjoy the sherbet right after churning or store it in the freezer.
Roasted Apricot Sherbet
- 1 tablespoon butter (unsalted), soft
- 1 pound apricots (ripe), halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Place the apricots in the dish cut-side up. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until apricots are fragrant and tender. Set aside.
- Bring ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup water to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Pour into a blender and top with the roasted apricots and salt. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a clean container and let chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, stir in the cream and churn in an ice cream maker. Serve immediately or keep in the freezer if you prefer a firmer sherbet.
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 3146IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 1mg