This robust vegan mushroom risotto is pure coziness in a bowl. Thanks to a bit of coconut milk and nutritional yeast added after cooking, you’ll never know there’s no dairy in this dish.
Asparagus and mushrooms are sautéed with garlic and brandy. The Arborio rice is cooked separately until al dente and creamy. The rich, slow-cooked rice and tender, flavorful vegetables combine to make a creamy risotto, the ultimate plant-based comfort food dish.
Please check out my cookbook Easy Plant-Based Cooking For Two for more Delicious Vegan Recipes. 🙂
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¼ cup shallots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 8 ounces asparagus trimmed and cut into1-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- ½ cup Arborio rice
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- In a small pot, warm the vegetable broth over low heat.
- In a large skillet, warm 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms, shallots, and half the garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the asparagus and ¼ teaspoon salt. Sauté until stalks are just tender, but slightly crunchy, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy and cook for 5 to 10 seconds until evaporated. Transfer vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel and add the rice. Shaking the pan frequently, toast over medium heat until rice is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the remaining chopped garlic, ½ cup of the warm broth, and slowly cook, stirring continuously, until liquid is completely absorbed. Continue adding and cooking the broth ½ cup at a time; this will take about 25 minutes total.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and sautéed vegetables. Serve immediately.