I woke up this morning with an impossible-to-ignore craving for blueberries. Luckily, I had some blueberries on the counter that I picked up over the weekend at the farmer’s market.
I thought about making blueberry muffins, but the growls from my stomach convinced me that something more substantial was needed. Something like BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!
I chose to make my blueberry pancakes with whole wheat flour, but all-purpose would have been great, too. I normally like to use buttermilk in my pancakes, but sadly didn’t have any. So I substituted with whole milk and guess what – I couldn’t tell a difference!
I added a little baking powder and baking soda to make them super fluffy and light. Then I loaded the pancake batter with a BOAT-LOAD of macerated blueberries.
The end result? Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes (aka Perfection).
If you want more recipes like this, check out my cookbook Beach House Brunch on amazon. 🙂
Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes with Salted Butter
- 2 cups blueberries fresh
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ cups whole milk or buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted), melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- maple syrup for serving
- In a small bowl, use a fork to slightly mash the blueberries with 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, remaining sugar, butter and vanilla. Stir in the blueberries. Mix in the flour, baking powder, soda and salt until just combined. Batter will be thick.
- Heat a griddle or a nonstick skillet. Ladle 1/2 cup of batter onto griddle and spread of batter. Cook for a couple minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook for another minute. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with maple syrup.