The BEST blueberry coffee cake – moist, tender, and perfect as a morning treat or evening dessert.
Why do I love this blueberry coffee cake?
- It’s delicious! The combination of blueberry compote, moist cake, and crunchy cinnamon streusel is simply delightful.
- No mixer needed. Sometimes you just want to make sweets by hand.
- It’s easy to make. Begin by cooking the blueberries with some honey, water, and lemon juice for 10 minutes. Make the streusel by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Make the simple cake batter by hand in a large mixing bowl. Transfer the batter to an 8×8-inch square pan. Pour the cooked blueberries on top of the batter. Crumble the streusel on top, and bake for 35 minutes.
- It stays delicious for days. Keep the cake covered at room temperature, and you’ll be set for the weekend.
- It’s an all-day treat. This blueberry coffee cake easily doubles as a morning treat and an after-dinner dessert.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
Prepare the oven and pan:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8-inch square pan, and set it aside.
Make blueberry topping:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Stirring occasionally, boil for 10 minutes, or until you are left with about 1 cup of blueberry compote. (Don't break up the blueberries - you want some left whole.) Remove from heat.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and mix well. (Mixture will resemble wet sand.) Set it aside.
- Place the melted butter in a large bowl, and whisk in the sugar.
- Add the egg, and beat for one minute.
- Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Assemble and bake the cake:
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Pour the blueberry compote on top.
- Crumble the streusel over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 38 minutes, or until the center bounces back when gently pressed.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Serving: 9g | Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 85mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 596IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg