The first cocktail I ever had was a strawberry daiquiri. I was vacationing in Saint Thomas, recklessly laying on the beach without sunblock (ah, to be 21 again) and snorkeling the clear blue waters of the U.S. Virgin Islands. At the end of each day, I always looked forward to treating myself to a refreshing strawberry daiquiri.
Like its cocktail version, these strawberry daiquiri cupcakes combine strawberries, sugar, lime, and rum to make a sweet treat. I was set on not using artificial coloring in these cupcakes, but feel free to use a drop or two if you want the cupcake interior to be more pink.
The cupcakes are made with roasted strawberry purée, which boasts an intensely sweet flavor and red color. The frosting is made with freeze-dried strawberries, packed with concentrated flavor, resulting in a gorgeous pink frosting. It’s the perfect pink topping for these delicious strawberry daiquiri cupcakes! Tip: Freeze-dried strawberries are readily sold in grocery stores, typically in the dried fruit aisle.
By the way, if you enjoy this recipe and would like more cupcake recipes, check out my cookbook Beach House Baking. 🙂
Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a cupcake pan with 10 paper liners and set aside.
Make the cupcakes:
- Combine strawberries and 1 teaspoon sugar in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Purée in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the sugar, butter, lime zest, and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time, scraping well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add the evaporated milk and flour mixture alternately, beginning with evaporated milk and ending with flour mixture. Mix in strawberry purée and rum. Scrape the bowl well.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them up to the rim. (I use a 2.6-ounce ice cream scoop.) Bake in the center of the preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the frosting:
- Grind freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor to a fine powder. Sift to remove any larger bits.
- Beat together strawberry powder and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt. Beat on low speed until mixture begins to come together. Increase speed to medium and continue mixing until frosting is fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag with the desired tip and swirl onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with fresh strawberries and lime zest if desired.