Warning – these almond squares are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!
Let me tell you why: butter, almonds, sugar, vanilla. Get it? 🙂
These almond squares are easy to make and quick to bake. A buttery, tender vanilla cookie with a cake-like texture is baked first. While the cake is in the oven, you cook a butter almond sauce over the stove until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture thickens. The butter sauce is then poured over the warm, just-baked cake and broiled until the almond topping caramelizes to perfection.
When the cake is cooled, cut into squares, and enjoy. They keep well in an airtight container stored in the refrigerator but trust me, these almond squares won’t last very long.
If you like this recipe and want more like it, check out my cookbook Beach House Baking on amazon. 🙂
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup butter (unsalted), soft
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup almonds sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13x2-inch pan and set aside.
- Combine the eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla and salt in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until thick, about 2 minutes. Mix in 1 cup melted butter and 1 cup flour until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup soft butter, almonds, 1 tablespoon flour and milk in a small pot and cook over low heat. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture thickens.
- Spread the mixture over the cake right after it comes out of the oven. Adjust the oven to high broil and caramelize the topping for 6 minutes, rotating every couple minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares.