In California, ears of corn start popping up in July and that’s when you’ll find me making this wonderful sweet corn panna cotta.
Panna cotta is a creamy dessert that exquisitely showcases summer corn. The sugar from the corn infuses with the cream while the starch helps to make the panna cotta silky smooth.
I serve this panna cotta with a simple blackberry sauce that’s easily and quickly made on the stovetop. The sauce provides a sweet-tart flavor that balances all the other flavors.
Sweet Corn Panna Cotta with Blackberries
- 2 large ears of sweet corn
- 2 cups half and half
- 1½ teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blackberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Make Panna Cotta:
- Slice kernels from corn and place in a large bowl. Break the ears in half with your hands and add to the bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the half-and-half with the gelatin and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining cream, sugar, and salt in a large pot over high heat and bring to a bowl. Remove from heat and carefully add the corn ears and kernels to the pot. Cover and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the corn from the cream mixture and stir in the gelatin. (Don’t throw away the kernels! Sauté them with a little butter and enjoy them as a side dish.) Pour into desired vessels. Let set up in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Make Blackberry Sauce:
- In a small pot, combine the blackberries, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool on the counter while panna cotta continues to set up in the refrigerator.
- When panna cotta is set, invert panna cotta onto serving plates and top with the blackberry sauce.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 234mg | Potassium: 412mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 639IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 1mg