This was the most popular cupcake at my bakery Sugar Blossom in San Clemente, CA. This delicious moist vanilla cupcake highlights the delicate floral flavor of vanilla. I recommend using Madagascar vanilla for its purity and depth of flavor.
Madagascar is an island country in the Indian Ocean that is home to the most popular and sought after vanilla in the world. The vanilla beans grown here are plump, moist and bursting with aromatics that put other vanilla to shame. The tropical climate of Madagascar is the perfect environment for producing this treasured baking ingredient…and yes, you guessed it, for sun bathing. With 1800 miles of palm-fringed coastline, Madagascar will be steps away with one bite of these namesake cupcakes.
Now that I’ve overloaded you with info you didn’t ask for, turn your oven on and get on with baking these moist vanilla cupcakes. Enjoy!
If you want more delicious baking recipes like this, check out my cookbook Beach House Baking. 🙂
Golden Butter Cupcakes with Madagascar Vanilla Buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with 20 paper liners.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the eggs one at a time, scraping well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add the milk and flour mixture alternately, beginning with the milk and ending with the flour.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them just below the rim. (I use a 2-ounce ice cream scoop.) Bake in the center of the oven for 17 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from the pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Add the milk, vanilla, and salt. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes to ensure that the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Thin/thicken with additional milk and powdered sugar, as desired.
- Store the frosting covered at room temperature until needed.