I received a boat-load of cherry tomatoes from a friend and decided to use some in a dish I had on my mind – chicken with garlic and tomatoes. It’s super simple to make as it’s all made in a large Dutch oven. The chicken is first browned in the pot, sautéed with garlic and tomatoes, deglazed with red wine and baked for 30 minutes in the oven.
The sauce is absolutely divine. Serve it over some white rice to sop up all the delicious flavors. Oh, next time I make this I’ll be adding some mushrooms which I think will make a nice addition. Enjoy!
Chicken with Garlic and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large chicken thighs boneless, with or without skin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- ½ teaspoon basil dried
- 4 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes whole
- 1 cup red wine I used Gascon Malbec 2014
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cut the chicken into small pieces and add to the pot. Stir in the seasonings and cook until chicken is nicely browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the red wine and chicken broth. Add the rosemary, cover the pot and place in oven for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with warm rice or pasta.