Who doesn’t love short ribs? Okay, maybe vegetarians don’t.
Anyhoo, this is a fancy-tasting dinner that doesn’t require fancy equipment to make. The beef short ribs are cooked with shiitake mushrooms and rosemary during the day in a slow cooker.
When you return home from a long day at work, simply steam the cauliflower and use a blender to puree the florets with some cream, butter, and parmesan. You’ll have a delicious home cooked meal ready to go.
The short ribs are fork-tender thanks to the moist heat cooking that occurs in the crockpot. It’s the only way I cook short ribs.
If you want more delicious dinner recipes like this, check out my cookbook Beach House Dinners. 🙂
Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2½ pounds beef short ribs bone in
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1¾ cups beef broth
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Chopped parsley for garnish
In the morning:
- Combine the flour, salt, and garlic powder in a ziplock bag. Add the short ribs, seal the bag, and toss to coat. Melt the butter in a cast-iron pan or large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the ribs on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer ribs to slow cooker meat-side down. Place the rosemary sprig snuggly in between the meat.
- Add the onions and brown sugar to the pan and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure even caramelization. Add the remaining ingredients except parsley and bring to a boil. Pour liquid over the ribs, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours.
In the evening, make cauliflower puree:
- Remove cauliflower leaves and cut out the core with a paring knife. Pull off florets with your fingers, using the knife when needed. Cut the florets into smaller pieces (1½ to 2 inches) and place them in a steamer insert. Cook florets until tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small pot, warm the half-and-half and butter over medium heat. Working in batches, puree the cauliflower florets in a blender with the butter mixture. Scrape down blender as necessary. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the grated parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
Finish short ribs:
- Transfer short ribs to a platter. Strain the sauce into a measuring cup and transfer mushrooms to the platter. Use a spoon to remove fat from the surface of sauce and discard. Serve short ribs and mushrooms over cauliflower puree with sauce spooned over. Garnish with parsley.